Intellectual Property Counsel (Completions & Wellbore Intervention) Houston, TX
- Job Function: Legal
- Experience Level: Experienced
- Posted Date: 12/17/2017 9:49:57 PM
- Job #: 1714864
- Location(s): United States; Texas; HOUSTON
Baker Hughes, a GE company (NYSE:BHGE) is the world’s first and only fullstream provider of integrated oilfield products, services and digital solutions. Drawing on a storied heritage of invention, BHGE harnesses the passion and experience of its people to enhance productivity across the oil and gas value chain.
BHGE helps its customers acquire, transport and refine hydrocarbons more efficiently, productively and safely, with a smaller environmental footprint and at lower cost per barrel. Backed by the digital industrial strength of GE, the company deploys minds, machines and the cloud to break down silos and reduce waste and risk, applying breakthroughs from other industries to advance its own.
With operations in over 120 countries, the company’s global scale, local know-how and commitment to service infuse over a century of experience with the spirit of a startup – inventing smarter ways to bring energy to the world.
Follow Baker Hughes, a GE company on Twitter @BHGECo, or visit us at BHGE.com.
Baker Hughes, a GE company has an opening for an intellectual property attorney for the position of Intellectual Property Counsel, for its Completions & Wellbore Intervention business segment. The position will report to the Managing Intellectual Property Counsel for Completions, Wellbore Interventions and Artificial Lift and will be located at the Baker Hughes Center for Technology Innovation in Houston, Texas. This position will primarily oversee and manage the global IP Portfolio for the Wellbore Interventions (WBI) product line as well as other related technology areas as assigned. This position will provide advice and counseling on intellectual property legal matters which will have financial and strategic impact on business activities and operations. This position handles a caseload of files and issues which requires in-depth technical and legal expertise (i.e. mechanical and/or materials undergraduate education as well as a law degree). This person will also supervise secondary legal professionals such as a paralegal, and will be required to collaborate at a high level with other legal and technology professionals and executives.
- Manages intellectual property legal services in support of the WBI and Completions product lines as well as other related technology areas as assigned.
- Managing an international patent portfolio including oversight and management of the filing, prosecuting, and maintenance of patent applications worldwide
- Working independently with the clients to assure registrations are obtained in strategic areas, and overseeing all post registration actions
- Addressing intellectual property litigation issues for the assigned businesses
- Drafting, negotiating, and enforcing license agreements, joint development agreements, and related transactional activities
- Assisting in the acquisition and divestiture of intellectual property rights when appropriate
- Reviewing third party patents, providing clearance, validity and infringement opinions to management and assisting in the development of strategic patenting opportunities for the client
- Handling trademark registration and assertion issues as required
- Perform additional duties as necessary or requested
- Bachelor’s and law degrees including a JD from an ABA accredited law school and be licensed to practice law in at least one state, preferably Texas
- Licensed to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark office
- Minimum 5 years patent and trademark prosecution experience is required as well as some level of IP transactional and litigation experienced
- Preferred educational backgrounds in Mechanical Engineering or Physics
- Knowledge and experience with managing an assigned intellectual property portfolio including patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets
- Knowledge and experience with managing the preparation and prosecution of domestic and foreign patent & trademark applications
- Assisting in developing global IP protection strategies; and providing related legal counseling to world class scientists and corporate management staff regarding intellectual property matters
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team-based environment.
- Experience with the upstream oilfield business in general and oilfield service business in particular
Baker Hughes, a GE company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Learn more
Locations: United States; Texas; HOUSTON
Connect With Us
Stay up to date on BHGE and possible opportunities that open in areas that interest you.Join Our Talent Network