Field Engineer – Excitation Systems
- Job Function: Services
- Experience Level: Experienced
- Posted Date: 2/7/2018 9:52:18 AM
- Job #: 3056358
- Location(s): Italy, Spain, United Kingdom; Flexible
Baker Hughes, a GE company (NYSE:BHGE) is the world’s first and only fullstream provider of integrated oilfield products, services and digital solutions. Drawing on a storied heritage of invention, BHGE harnesses the passion and experience of its people to enhance productivity across the oil and gas value chain.
BHGE helps its customers acquire, transport and refine hydrocarbons more efficiently, productively and safely, with a smaller environmental footprint and at lower cost per barrel. Backed by the digital industrial strength of GE, the company deploys minds, machines and the cloud to break down silos and reduce waste and risk, applying breakthroughs from other industries to advance its own.
With operations in over 120 countries, the company’s global scale, local know-how and commitment to service infuse over a century of experience with the spirit of a startup – inventing smarter ways to bring energy to the world.
GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, and according with all local laws protecting different status.
Follow us on Twitter, join our LinkedIn Group or become a fan of our Facebook page. Receive job and event notifications by becoming a member of the GE Talent Community. Stay up to date on what’s happening at GE around the globe by checking out the GE Careers Blog.
The Excitation Field Engineer is responsible for the installation, commissioning, maintenance and troubleshooting for the full range of hardware and software products in the GE MCS – Excitation & Control Solutions portfolio.
Primarily customers will be within the Oil & Gas and Power Generation industries internationally and may be located both onshore and offshore
- Field Engineer participates as a Regional Service Team member
- Lead and manage site execution of excitation retrofit projects. Scope of projects includes one or more of the following: Excitation Systems (EX 2000, EX2100, Alterrex, DFE-Digital Front End), generator controls and relaying, electrical construction, static start (LCI) systems
- Install and commission Excitation & Control Solutions hardware and software in a wide variety of machine types encountered in the Oil & Gas, Power Generation, Fertilizers, and other process industries
- Troubleshoot existing Excitation & Control Solutions hardware and software installations on-site
- Supervise mechanical and electrical sub-contractors, and instrumentation de-installation / reinstallation
- Supervise cable laying, meggering and connection
- Lead and execute loop check and commissioning phase performing the functional tests
- Perform project management and technical leader duties
- Work to be performed at GE and customer locations throughout the European (primary) with possible work locations throughout the US and globally
- Able to travel extensively and work significant over-time
- Timely completion of service reports, invoicing packages, and other administrative requirements.
- Drive customer satisfaction through commitment to quality
- Interface with other GE organizations in support of business growth initiatives
- Conduct internal and external training
- College degree in Electrical / Electronic/ Mechanic Engineering, or Technical High School or equivalent knowledge and experience
- Significant work experience in Oil & Gas and Power Plant industry field activities
- Experience and basic knowledge of generator excitation systems
- Knowledge in rotating equipment control philosophy (Gas Turbine, Steam Turbine, Centrifugal Compressor, Reciprocate Compressor) and their auxiliaries
- Knowledge in unit control panel (UCP), motor control center (MCC), direct current panel (DCP), distributed control system (DCS)
- Solid verbal and written communication skills, ability to read and write English.
- Possess a valid driver's license and passport (or able to obtain)
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical and electrical drawings.
- Self-starter with minimal supervision requirement; able to work independently; ability to prioritize, organize work, and meet deadlines
- Communicate professionally with customer and other team members
- EU work permit
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Non-national candidates are responsible to know the minimum documentation requirements to be able to be contracted in country: NIE- Social Security Affiliation Number in Spain (NAF) and Bank Account in Spain. They must be in possession of them at the time of start hiring. GE will not sponsor this requirement.
- Previous industrial field service experience (significant experience)
- Experience with equipment that functions as a “prime mover”(turbines) and “driven equipment” (generators, etc.)
- Experience with older type excitation systems (Static, Bus Fed)
- Electronical/Electronics and/or mechanical trouble shooting skills. “Hands-on approach”
- Experience with either EX2100e, LS2100e, MKIV, MKV or MKVI Control Panel
- Computer skills with familiarity with MS Office products
- Ability to learn other software tool applications to support work requirements
Locations: Italy, Spain, United Kingdom; Flexible
Connect With Us
Stay up to date on BHGE and possible opportunities that open in areas that interest you.Join Our Talent Network