Sr Technical Writer
- Job Function: Digital Technology
- Experience Level: Experienced
- Posted Date: 3/6/2018 7:52:51 AM
- Job #: 3070865
- Location(s): India; Bengaluru
Baker Hughes, a GE Company (NYSE:BHGE) is a world leader in advanced technologies and services with over 65,000 employees in more than 100 countries supporting customers across the industry. Our unrelenting commitment to the environment, health and safety, quality and integrity defines us: it’s The Way We Work. We invent smarter ways to bring energy to the world.
As a Sr Technical Writer, you will be responsible for working independently on technical writing projects. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams to produce high-quality documentation. Also, you will contribute to larger team on projects as needed. Responsible for working independently on information development projects. Collaborates with cross-functional teams to produce high-quality content. Contributes to larger team on projects as needed.
Technical writers communicate complex information clearly, concisely and accurately, and without relying on jargon. As a technical writer, you will write conceptual overviews, procedures, create simple tutorials, review labels and messages within the user interface, and create release notes, FAQs, implementation guides. You may also create diagrams, collaborate with other writers to create a style guide, design efficient writing processes, edit white papers and other collateral. You will constantly seek smarter ways to improve. You are a customer advocate, striving to create the best information experience for the customer.
Technical writers play a big part at BHGE. They are a key link between engineers, product management, customer support, as well as all the external users, tying together many vital but disparate parts of the BHGE Digital organization.
In this role, you are responsible for working independently, and collaborating closely with other team members, to develop and deliver high-quality content. You are focused on accuracy, consistency, quality, and clarity.
• Strong writing and editing skills
• Skilled in core information development processes: content planning, content creation, content review
• Skilled in time management, able to meet tight deadlines with multiple deliverables
• Knowledge of core technical communication concepts, such as DITA, topic-based authoring, minimalism, task-oriented design, single-sourcing
• Ability to collaborate with subject matter experts to research a software product, determine functionality and design features, then communicate those effectively to the user
• Ability to break down software processes into tasks necessary to the targeted user and effectively explaining those tasks to the user
• Ability to create compelling visual content and stories that convey key product and solution messages and themes while adhering to the company’s brand and design
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, communications field, Computer Science or related field (OR high school diploma with at least 6 years’ experience in a technical writing role)
• A minimum of 4 years of professional experience
• Ability to create simple visual presentations of complex content
• Understanding of the major aspects of software design, development, and QA and how they affect the information development process
• Experience with Confluence
• Experience with authoring tools (Experience with MadCap Flare, or oXygen Author, Astoria CMS a plus but not required)
• Awareness of Lean/Agile/XP software development processes
• Knowledge of Oil & Gas industry desired, but not essential
• Knowledge of Non-Destructive Testing Inspection technologies, and/or enterprise cloud software applications a plus
• Ability to work to deadlines and think critically about the task at hand while maintaining an understanding of the relevance of the issue in the bigger picture
• Ability to voice opinions and present clear rationale. Effective use of data or factual evidence to influence
• Personal project management skills: ability to broadly estimate scope, ability to work to deadlines
• Persists on completion of endeavors, especially in the face of overwhelming odds and setbacks. Pushes self for individual results and others through team spirit.
• Effective team building and problem solving abilities
• Ability to take ownership of small and medium-sized tasks and deliver, while assisting team members
• Ability to understand problems thoroughly before implementing solutions and ask questions to clarify requirements when ambiguities are present
• Intellectually curious
Locations: India; Bengaluru
Connect With Us
Stay up to date on BHGE and possible opportunities that open in areas that interest you.Join Our Talent Network